Schubert: Mass No. 2 in G Major, D.167
Franz Schubert: Mass No. 2 in G Major, D.167
The second mass, commonly referred to as "Schubert's Mass in G," was composed in less than a week (March 2 to 7, 1815), the year after his first mass had been successfully performed in Schubert's home parish. The second mass was originally more modestly scored than the first, requiring only a string orchestra and organ in addition to the soprano, tenor, and baritone soloists and choir. However, in the 1980s a set of parts for the mass were discovered at Klosterneuburg which are dated later than Schubert's full score. They not only include minor changes throughout the work, which would apparently represent Schubert's "final" intentions, they also include trumpet and timpani parts.